||Veteran's Administration Benefits
Fairfield Iowa Chamber of Commerce
Fairfield Area Restaurants
Fairfield Iowa Florists
Hospice of Central Iowa
Fairfield Iowa Hotels & Motels
Railroad Retirement Association
Social Security Administration
Veteran's Administration Benefits
Department of Veterans Affairs
Burial and Plot-Interment Allowances
What Is A VA Burial Allowance ?
A VA burial allowance is a partial reimbursement of an eligible veteran's burial and funeral costs. When the cause of death is not service-related, the reimbursement is generally described as two payments: (1) a burial and funeral expense allowance, and (2) a plot interment allowance.
Who Is Eligible ?
You may be eligible for a VA burial allowance if:
* you paid for a veteran's burial or funeral AND
* you have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the deceased veteran's employer AND
* the veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
In addition, at least one of the following conditions must be met:
* the veteran died because of a service-related disability OR
* the veteran was receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death OR
* the veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay OR
* the veteran died in a VA hospital or while in a nursing home under VA contract, or while in an approved state nursing home.
How Much Does VA Pay ?
Service-Related Death. VA will pay up to $1,500 toward burial expenses for deaths prior to September 10, 2001. For deaths on or after September 11, 2001, VA will pay $2,000. If the veteran is buried in a VA national cemetery, some or all of the cost of moving the deceased may be reimbursed.
Nonservice-Related Death. VA will pay up to $300 toward burial and funeral expenses, and a $150 plot interment allowance for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. The plot-interment allowance is $300 for deaths on or after December 1, 2001. If the death happened while the veteran was in a VA hospital or under contracted nursing home care, some of all of the costs for transporting the deceasedís remains may be reimbursed.
How Can You Apply ?
You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-530, Application for Burial Allowance. You should attach proof of the veteran's military service (DD 214), a death certificate, and copies of funeral and burial bills you have paid.
Burial in VA National Cemeteries Headstones and Markers
CLICK HERE to link to the Veteran's Administration Website
Presidential Memorial Certificates Burial Flags
For More Information Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000
Or Visit Our Web Site At http://www.cem.va.gov
Recommend This Page
Contact Funeral Home
Interested In Pre-planning?
Site Copyright © 2002, Aurora Casket Company
Site designed and developed by Aurora Casket Company